Two-Day Wind Reading for Snipers, Mid/Long Range Competitors - October 20-21, 2018
This 2-day course taught by Norm Crawford (Winner of 1200yd Trophy at 2017 Midwest Palma Championships and 1000yd 2016 and 2017 Wimbledon Cup Champion) is designed for shooters who want to learn or refine their wind reading skills. This class is appropriate for Snipers, Precision Rifle Shooters, CMP/NRA (Over-the Course, Sling/F-Class Mid and Long Range) Competitive Shooters and hunters who want to engage targets/game beyond 300 yds, utilizing a bolt action or semi-automatic rifle equipped with iron sights or scope. The classroom portion, consisting of approximately 3-5 hours, will cover effects of wind, use of mirage and wind flags/other wind indicators, determining bullet wind drift, target dimensions and sight adjustment, using sighting shots, shooting in wind conditions, rifle accuracy, rifle ranges and what to look for prior to shooting. The remaining ~10-12 hours range portion will be 600 yd live fire practical exercises utilizing the techniques discussed during the classroom instruction.
Full Course Description here: http://www.therangecomplex.com/specialty-shooting-courses.html
Course Objectives: The overall objective is for shooters to learn/refine their wind reading skills.
- Understand the effects of wind.
- Use mirage, flags and other wind indicators (grass/trees/smoke etc.) to determine bullet wind drift.
- Use target dimensions and wind conditions to determine and make sight adjustment to make first round hits.
- Understand what to look for on a range/in the field prior to shooting.
Firearms Requirements (Student provided):
- Rifles: Military Service Rifle/Civilian equivalent (M16/AR15, M14/M1A, M1 Grand, M110/SR25/AR10, M24/Remington 700/40X), other similar bolt action rifles .223 up to 30-06. Note: No magnum calibers.
- Sights: Standard Service Rifle Sights, match rifle sights, scope (10-25X power).
- System: Rifle system must be able to hold groups of 2 MOA or less.
- Note: Rifles will be supported in some manner (sandbag, bi-pod, front rest of your choice).
Ammo requirements (Student furnished): Minimum of 60 rounds of match grade hand loaded or commercial ammo (same manufacture, type and weight – preferably of same lot number).
- Experience shooting high power rifles and understanding of firearms safety.
Training Schedule: Show time 7:30 for those bringing their own rifle (Instructor will inspect and approve for use).
Individual Equipment (Student furnished):
- Water / Snacks.
- Hat and gloves.
- Sun Screen (non-greasy or water resistant recommended).
- Seasonal range clothing that appropriate for laying and sitting on ground.
- Rain gear.
- Insect repellent.
- Eye and ear protection.
- Shooting mat (if you have one).
- Elbow pads (recommended).
- Spotting scope that is usable in prone position (if you have one).
- Rifle cleaning equipment for personal rifles.
Course includes: 16 hours of instruction and a certificate of completion.